Sunday, January 25, 2009

I'm not so cool

Was having a discussion about baby-wearing with some other online moms today. I do my best to wear Fish whenever possible. He has ridden in the stroller exactly 3 times in his 4.5 months. But, I tend to not wear him around the house. He gets bored if I'm standing doing dishes and sometimes it's just SOOOO much quicker to vacuum/dust/etc without him in my arms that I opt for speed over babywearing. He sits quite happily in his swing/bouncy chair/pack 'n play. Most if the time. I confess to letting him kvetch a little if I know I'll be done shortly.

But, I have always felt guilty for not wearing him CONSTANTLY as I assumed these other Cooler-Than-Me Online Moms did. Turns out most of them don't wear the baby constantly and make just as much use of the swing, etc. as I do. Yay!

I'm here to tell you I'm not so cool. My toddler ate soup from a box today. And potato chips. On Friday afternoon he ate two huge croissants and had just stolen a third when my husband caught him. Last night we all had french fries and boil-in-the-foil Indian food at 1030 pm. While watching HGTV. All of us. Hippo watches on average one 30 min DVD per day - sometimes a few times - depending on what kind of day I'm having.

/confession

Human, as charged.

2 comments:

Housefairy said...

and I am here to tell you that you ARE so cool!

I hate the obsessive guilt inducing rules, in either direction, when and if it ever inspires wonderful mothers to think they suck because tghey do or dont do such and such. That kind of stuff keeps us locked up inbdoors with out shamefully normal selves.

I hate babywearing now. I used to do it lots but after the last 2 babies my body aint up for it. I dont buy much organic nor do I do alot of the other "cool" stuff. But I am cool and everyone who tried their best to live close to their own values is cool, too!

Go in guilt free peace, Mama!

kaenahora said...

back on the blogsphere...it's been slow at work. Just wanted to know I'm thinking of you... and hope you and the kids are well.