Monday, January 19, 2009

Inauguration Anticipation, Homeopathy, and Our Gardening Extravaganza

In that order:

I'm giddy over the upcoming inauguration. I realize this is not a popular sentiment in the frum community. Sorry you've all been brainwashed. Anywho, I rescheduled our dog's grooming appointment so I can stay home and witness history courtesy of my high-speed internet connection.

Was recently introduced to homeopathy. I had heard of arnica and had used Traumeel tablets after Fish's birth. They were amazing. I didn't have to take pain meds and could tell within minutes of having taken a dose that they were working. Fast forward to last week when Fish was having worse and worse teething pain. We couldn't continue to dope him up with baby Tylenol forever so I decided to give Camilia, a melange of homeopathic teething remedies, a try. It worked like magic and I got my first half-night's sleep in weeks (baby steps...). Related the good news to my chiropractor (who had recommended the remedy in the first place) and she loaned me a book. Homeopathy is fascinating.

I'm not suited to any kind of healing career (frequent thought when talking to friends sick with the flu: 'Stop whining and get on with things already.'). I'm not a paragon of sympathy and , according to my friend Eva, I apparently have less milk-of-human-kindness than your average bear. BUT, I'm interested and a little more knowledge can only help. Plus, how cool to be able to treat myself and my family. Public library here I come.

It's winter on the west coast and spring is already in sight. Hereabouts people start to get serious about their gardening in Feb/March. The previous owners of our house put in a magnificent and very time-and-labour intensive garden. Lots of rhododendrons, a few camelias, a magnolia, and other fine shrubs. They also must've had something in the front beds that now contain weeds, weeds, and the few perennials I've been able to make grow there over the past few years. Did I mention there were weeds?

Right now I'm spending 30 minutes a few times a week trying to get rid of the weeds. For the moment. My goal is to create beds so thick with vegetation that weeds can't get a foothold. We'll see.

In the back yard, I'll be taking charge of the vegetable garden. We removed an old, gnarly ornamental cherry tree last month which will dramatically increase the available sunlight. Peas, lettuce, kale, beets, leeks, tomatoes, and zucchini are on the planting list.

No comments: